Notebooking Examples & Freebies
We love notebooking in our house. It’s easier to plan and set up than lapbooking, and it can be used with virtually any subject.
When we started moving towards unschooling, I was pretty sure that notebooking would fade out of our home. To my surprise, the girls still enjoy having a notebooking page to doodle, draw, and jot down thoughts on while we read and explore topics. They find it helpful to focus, listen, and interact with the information.
It also makes a pretty impressive portfolio for our records. We can flip through our binders and immediately see what the girls read, heard, and understood.
Links to resources for notebooking
- How to create a Life Experience Notebook for just about anything!
- The Notebooking Fairy – free printables, ideas, advice, and all things notebooking!
- Notebooking Pages – the online app makes custom notebooking pages fast and easy. You can even type right in the program and print out a finished page!
- Notebooking Nook has great information, as well as a selection of freebies
- My Amazing Notebooking board on Pinterest
- Practical Pages has a nice selection of free printables
- The Crafty Classroom – notebooking printables
- Nice elementary lined papers and more at Homeschool Helper
- Nice basic forms from Donna Young
- HSLaunch is a place for homeschoolers to share their free printables. You can search by topic and find many great notebooking pages. I also have a page with all my free printables.
Most of our notebooking pages are about history. I also like to make notebooking printables about history because you can find many public domain images to adorn the pages. Each of these units includes free notebooking pages for you to download:
- Civil War Comes to Kansas (this goes with my unit study Blood on the Border)
- Annie Oakley
- Famous Women of the Civil War Era (a list of ten books with notebooking pages for each woman)
- War in the Air (WWI, flight)
Stick-figuring Through the Bible
Notebooking With Literature
- Beowulf notebooking set
- Nursery Rhymes to trace and color
- When Buffalo Ran (first set) and (second set)
We’ve done a lot of science lapbooks, but I really didn’t know how to use notebooking for our science projects until I read Jimmie’s Notebooking Success ebook.
Notebooking for Geography, Cultures, and Countries
- Bali – and our review of Tiger Hunt
More posts with examples of our notebooking: