I have a problem.
I suspect that you have the same issue in your life, although you might not be eager to admit it.
When you get to the deep down inner me – I am horribly selfish.
Shocking? Well, considering that a love of self was probably the first sin – it’s no big surprise that it is man’s first and foremost struggle.
I can pretend to be generous and kind for the most part. I give to my share of charities and good causes.
And it’s not that I don’t love people. I generally have a warm, hippy love for everyone. I find it hard to be bitter or to hate.
The problem lies with how much I love my own self, my life, my time, my money, and my desires.
Please tell me you are in the same boat?
- When you push your way past someone in the supermarket and start to justify your rude behavior in your own mind “because they weren’t fast enough”.
- When you start to vilify a person (at least mentally) even though they have never shown you any malice. Note: vilify means to make the other person into a villain, by word or deed (and in this case thought), even if they don’t deserve it.
- When you make excuses as to why you can’t give, serve, help, or sacrifice your money and time.
- When you start to blame others for things that they can’t possibly be aware of or solve for you.
- When you start to list the reasons why you deserve something.
The truth is, I hold onto my money too tightly. I guard my writing and blogging time jealously. I trick myself into believing that I am better than others in some way every day.
And for those reasons, I have chosen my one word for 2013:
Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. -Philippians 2:3-4
I don’t want to put my efforts into myself in 2013.
I want to focus on others.
To stop and think how another person might feel. To ask myself what is best for those closest to me. To honor and respect others as more important than myself.
What is your one word for 2013? What do you want to focus on?